Posted on: 10.16.2011
1) Don't do your dishes in your underwear.
2) Throw out even slightly chipped glasses.
Now I guess I should tell you how I learned these two things the hard way. Saturday morning I woke up in a great mood. Trevor went off to the law library to study, and I made plans to clean up the apartment. I was feeling energized and had a list of things I wanted to get done.
Because I am super cheap and don't like throwing anything away, I insisted on keeping a chipped glass. I mean the chip was so blunt I didn't think you could possibly hurt yourself on it.
I was very wrong.
In my rush of doing dishes, I cut myself. We have all cut ourselves before, so when I saw the blood I thought no big deal. I covered my hand for a few seconds (you know that magical hold we do on our cuts, hoping that it will miraculously heal it, or make the cut not so bad?) but when I opened my hand.... I knew something was very wrong.
What gave it away? Oh just my skin opening up and my hand muscle peeking out at me saying...
"HEY! I have never seen daylight before, this is cool!"
Except it was so NOT cool. I had never seen a real life human muscle before by the way, so I was slightly fascinated. But I was in pain so I didn't have much time to be fascinated. I just sat there for a minute, trying not to freak out. I got my phone and called my mom... then I let myself break down. I knew it was bad enough I needed to go to Urgent Care. I don't know why but I needed the comfort of my Mommy to tell me to calm down and call Trevor. So that is what I did.
You guys have to realize... I have never had anything happen to me. I mean I did sprain my wrist once, and I fractured my foot. But other then that... I have never even had a cavity. So I was really scared of the thought of getting stitches. Waiting for Trevor to get home felt like it took hours. Which I guess I needed since trying to dress yourself with one bleeding hand in the air (trying to elevate, like my mama said!) made for a challenge. Lets just say the image was pretty comical. Except I wasn't laughing. I didn't get far, so when Trevor came home he had to help me get dressed. I guess I got a quick glimpse of what life will be like when I am an old lady... or heaven forbid something tragic happened to me.
So Trevor came home and checked out my wound... he barley looked at it and knew we had to go to the hospital. So off we went, after Trevor did up my pants of course. Awkward.
I have an irrational phobia of needles, so I was trying not to freak out. The sweet nurse, who was my age (wow... am I really old enough that the nurses are my age now?! what?!) tried to make me feel better by saying how the numbing shot felt similar to what they do for cavities... remember I have never had a cavity?! The doctor shook his head in disbelief at this... and really didn't believe me when I explained that even Trevor had never had a cavity. Hopefully this means less dentist trips for our kids in the future. I digress...
I had NO idea that they put the numbing shot IN YOUR WOUND. DIRECTLY. I started to cry a little bit and felt like a total looser. I quickly gained composure, I didn't want to look pathetic. I didn't watch of course.. I mean who would watch someone put a needle under you skin, literally on your hand muscle? The doctor did it about 6 different times mind you... eekk. It hurt, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thank goodness for modern medicine. How did poor people get through this stuff back in the day? ouchie.
The doctor was very nice. He was actually from near my home town back in San Diego, so we chatted about that. He even complimented my nice neon pink nails, haha. He was trying to make me feel better I think. I wont lie though... for some reason him being from back home, made me more comfortable.
So 5 stitches later, and 1 Tetanus shot. I was done.
Oh wait... and one almost as painful bill, ouchie. There goes my Christmas/Birthday present this year :(
I should have known better to keep around a broken glass... so even if its just a chip in the glass... that can do damage too! Lesson learned.
&I should have known better about the dishes in the ginch too. Yes... sometimes I say ginch, thanks for that dad, haha! Growing up in San Diego my family has had its share of fire scares. My family has been evacuated from our home on more then one occasion. My dad always told me I should wear pj's to bed in case we ever had to leave in the night.
For some reason I never thought of what would happen if something bad happened when you weren't wearing anything... but now I know!
I thought the pain was over... but the the numbing shot wore off... and now I feel like my hand is on fire. &no amounts of pain killer is helping. BAH.
So there you go people... learn from me.
1) GO NOW &throw out a anything with a slight crack in it.
2) GO put some clothes on.
p.s. by the way, I am not even remotely ambidextrous. typing this with my left hand took forever.