Growing up my Mom wasn't a huge fan of us girls doing anything "crazy" to our hair. You see, my mom is a major tomboy. She doesn't wear makeup, in fact, the first time she ever wore make up was on my older sister's wedding day. She has only ever worn make up on our wedding days, because we made her :) So she has worn make up five times now in her entire life. The first and only time she wore nail polish was on my wedding day! Can you believe that?! Nail polish is my favorite, crazy woman!
I have had a lot of questions regarding going platinum, so I figured I would share what I have learned over the past few months of having platinum white hair.
- Everyone's hair is different. You don't know how your hair will react to going platinum. For example I was told this could destroy my hair. My hair could just fall out, I would have to cut a ton off, that the texture would be fried. Usually the blonder you already are, the less damage there will be because you don't have to lift the color as much. Thankfully for me my hair has responded very well! It is still soft and very healthy considering what I did to it. I did have to cut off three inches, I probably could have got away with only doing two, but I wanted to be cautious and make sure the ends were super healthy!
- Going platinum you have to realize that you basically took every last nutrient out of your hair. So it is important to put those back into your hair as much as possible. So I use more products then I normally would because I am wanting to add protein back into my hair. I make sure I take my vitamins and use products to help damage.
- Don't wash you hair. Well you can sometimes, but not a lot. The beauty of this is with platinum your hair does not get greasy! It is a great perk in my opinion. Your hair just soaks up all the oil because it has nothing in it. So I try to not wash it too much, when I do I use deep conditioning mask treatments, and I try to let it air dry. The whole key is to prevent as much damage as possible.
- Purple Shampoo is your BEST friend! Purple Shampoo was created to take the yellow brassiness out of blonde hair and make it more ashy and white. I for one did not want that nasty bleached hair look, I wanted white hair. So it is important to make sure you use purple shampoo every once in awhile when you do your hair. I even used purple shampoo when I wasn't a platinum blonde. It is just a blonde's best friend. If you haven't tried it, you need to get on that! Along with the Purple Shampoo you should also be getting it toned. A good toner every three to four weeks will help that white color hold much longer. You would need to get it toned at the salon you get your hair done at.
- Overall for me because I was already so blonde I have had minimal damage and don't feel like my hair is THAT much more maintenance. Yes it is more maintenance, but I don't feel like it is enough that it is a burden. I have been loving the color! My only complaint is how dark my natural hair looks when it is growing in compared to the WHITE. I mean I am pretty blonde naturally and it is funny to see it look almost black because of how white the hair is. Before I could go forever with outgrowth and people wouldn't even notice, with platinum, you notice! haha