family reunion (part I)...

My Dad's family has six kids and every few years they take turns throwing a family reunion. This year was my Aunt's turn who lives in Idaho and she decided to do a big winter cabin trip up in Island Park Idaho, just outside of Yellow Stone.

It is always a treat to see my extended family because I hardly ever get to see them! With us being so large and spread out all over, we have to make the time and even then it is nearly impossible to see everyone. We had a pretty great turn out though and it was so much fun to ring in the new year with so much family around. Between all of the families that came we had three huge cabin's - these cabins were more like giant gorgeous houses!

The trip consisted of snowmobiling, sledding, hot tubs, game nights, laughter, and talking until we lost our voices. While it was great to see my extended family, I of course was excited to spend time with some of my siblings (wish you had been there ben and brandon) and my parents. The highlight of the trip was finally getting to meet my new nephew Cameron :) He was such a perfect baby and I am so excited to watch him grow up and wish I lived closer so I could come over and snuggle with him. He is the best snuggling baby! Miss him already.

Throughout the reunion we talked a lot about genealogy. My family is very into genealogy and it is a habit I am happy they have acquired and so that I am able to know so much about my family. I heard stories from aunts and uncles that I had never heard before about our family, like how my grandpa and grandma got married four weeks after they met, MET! haha Or how my grandpa wanted to serve his country so bad that he lied about his age and enlisted at seventeen, even though he didn't even have to serve because his father was a farmer and his older two brother's were already serving (apparently they always kept one farmer's son home so he could take over the farm if the others died). Or fun ones like when Patrick Stewart asked my Aunt out on a date back in the day, haha.

I think besides being around family my favorite part of the reunion was the food. My aunt made signature meals that my Grandma Leavitt was known for. My Grandma died two days after I was born, so I never got to know her and only have the stories of other people's memories of her. It was very cool to hear the background on the meal we were eating and then know that I can go home and make the same things in my kitchen. There is something very cool about being able to make HER recipe that she loved and feel like I am in some small way participating in a memory of hers, like I can share that with her even though she isn't here anymore.

All in all the trip was absolutely a blast, both educationally regarding my family history, being with my family, and all the fun stuff like snowmobiles, sleds, hot tub nights and games! It all came together for a great New Year break :) Except for the part where we all got sick... thanks for spreading that around Mom and Dad! HA!

I have SO MANY PICTURES! It would take me forever to post them all, and it would be pages worth of my blog haha. So I am going to try and just do these in two posts. This post will mainly be just the family time in the Cabin. Sorry for the picture overload - oh wait, it is my blog - nope not sorry! If your my family reading this I will being doing one large drop box of everything! haha here we go...

Our Cabin


The other two cabins for our family.

Enjoying Grandma Leavitt's homemade chicken soup after arriving!


















The two lovebirds that started it all :) Grandpa and Grandma Leavitt
Wish they were still here to enjoy their family.





















Making a family tree of just our immediate family on the wall - yes, that is just the immediate family! haha


































Sisters off to the hot tub, yes, we went in every night before bed :)





















My poor Dad was super sick and would often be found asleep in this chair :(





















My cousin's daughter Emma was in love with my Dad. She always wanted to do her puzzles on his lap :)





















Don't worry, these were used ALOT, pictures of all that fun in the next post! haha





















Since we had a good part of our family there we saved some of our presents to each other to open at the Cabin! Oh don't mind Trevor's spread open legs in these, that boy... *shaking head*




















My Dad the Trekkie, got a Star Trek Pizza Cuter!!! How amazing is that?!




















New Years Eve we had a family talent show and stuffed ourselves with amazing Canadian Junk Food :)




















See Part TWO of the Reunion - all the FUN in the snow!


How did you spend your New Years?



51 comments

  1. What a fun time! I love family reunions. That's where the best memories are made :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cabins look fantastic! What a fun time with family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! What beautiful cabin/cabins! :)
    XO
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat thing to learn about your family's genealogy! Memories you'll remember forever and get to spread to your kiddos! That cabin looks amazing too btw- what a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!! Looks like you had soo much fun! Also, slight chance I may be in Utah this weekend! I'll FB you and let you know if it ends up happening!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful family tradition! I've always dreamed of doing a winter cabin getaway--guess now I just have to get my family on board.

    I started getting into genaeology this last year, and it was an incredible experience to be able to personally find the information about ancestors we didn't even know about. It is now one of my biggest passions. So glad to find another family history kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't genealogy the best?! I love it. Do you ever those shows like who do you think you are?! Who doesn't love learning more about their own family as if it is some kind of mystery or story you are discovering?! THE BEST FEELING EVER!

      Delete
  8. Wow this seems like such a wonderful it, and what a beautiful area. I'm sure you all are having such an amazing time :)

    XO, Adropofbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I think I want to be a part of your family now. (: haha how much fun though!! The cabins and food. Families are the best though. I am glad you spent your New Years with every one!! I can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful cabins to spend time with family in! Looks like the perfect place and people to be "snowed in" with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old Dutch chips are the BEST! It is so awesome that you can all get together like that, big families rock :)

    - Kelsey @ Time Stand Still


    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Can I go next time? Best family vacay ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. So many great memories will be made.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so amazing! What incredible memories. Oh and I read a little more about cameron and your sister, wow... what amazing people they are. Gosh, they are inspiring. I'm glad you had a great time, it looks wonderful in every single aspect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is the most special baby :) GAH I love him so much!

      Delete
  15. beeeeeeee-utiful family. y'all are the greatest.

    xoxo

    brooke

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful tradition!! I love our family reunions, but they're always with extended family - tons of 2nd cousins and great aunts & uncles. Big families are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let me start by saying that that cabin in gorgeous!! i kind of wanna run away there and never leave! looks like u had a blast! the pictures are so funn!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! The area was so beautiful too... so many gorgeous trees, I kept saying we were on our way to Narnia!

      Delete
  18. I love all the photos! I think that is just beautiful that your dad's family gets together like that! I also LOVE that your dad is a trekkie! My Uncle was a HUGE one and we still have all of his stuff (like his starship enterprise telephone).

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun! &yes, my Dad has tons of random star trek stuff, all the collectible star trek ornaments! haha Oh man, and now the pizza cutter!

      Delete
  19. My favorite is learning how family members met! I can't imagine getting married after a month haha.

    What a sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! There is actually a pretty cool story that happened before that, I should share it on the blog sometime!!

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful little (/huge) family! And what a great way to spend the holidays. Happy New Year to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. BEAUTIFUL cabin and family! One of my favorite memories is our freshman dorm ski trip to Lake Tahoe where 80 of us rented a mansion of a cabin... AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  22. of course dear i need the really text editor of my blog and Articles, This blog are really very helping to me and your Blog reader.
    Thanks Dear.
    Septorinoplasti

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful family pictures!


    If you get a sec, check out my latest post... Pops of Color.

    XO
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cute is your fam?! We went to my parents farm for new years too (just posted about it today actually!). Oh and don't worry, I have someone photos where my husbands skivvies down his shorts it's crazy! :)

    P.s. love your headwarmers! I crocheted one from my sister (in OH) this year but definitely wasn't as cute as those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just impressed you could crochet them! haha Looks like you had a blast at their farm!!

      Delete
  25. oh my goodness, this looks like so much fun! what a great idea do do something like this every year. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. and your family is super cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like so much fun! Where are these cabins at?

    ReplyDelete
  28. We had so much fun! Thanks for a great blog Alycia. Can't wait for the next one!! I wish Ben & Brandon could have been there. Aunt Jackie certainly outdid herself! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the head bands. def need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to have them in the mall everywhere here, but I bet if you search them online you will easily be able to find them! I remember getting a yellow one I love off ebay!

      Delete
  30. Haha I got that pizza cutter for my dad for Christmas! He LOVED it! Looks like so much fun. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  31. what an amazing time with family. it happens too in my big family. like every 3 months or so, one family will arrange a big family gathering.

    and your nephews are the cutest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we all lived closer to get together more for dinners and what not! And yes, I think my nephews are THE most adorable things ever!

      Delete
  32. this reunion looks like SO much fun! what a blessing it is to be able to spend time with our families. our family used to do regular reunions, but we haven't had them in several years. this is making me think we need to start up that tradition again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like you guys had a fabulous time in a true winter wonderland! Looks so much like what we enjoy here in Alberta! Happy you got to see your family and spend such a lovely amount of quality time together. Happy new year Alycia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well seeing that my family is all from Alberta that doesn't surprise me much! So beautiful in Alberta!!

      Delete
  34. What an amazing time you must have had! fabulous pictures!! new follower here~~

    ReplyDelete
  35. How FUN!! This is making me super excited for Brian Head in Feb! And I seriously want to jump in that hot tub... I haven't been hot tubing since that time with you and Jamie. Dang pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete

Howdy Ho :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have enabled the forum feature on my comments so we can all interact in conversation. So if you leave a question, look back for a reply!