1. Clip the majority of your hair up, so you have a thin bottom layer of hair to start with.
2. Before curling, spritz each section of hair with a heat protectant. We used Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Leave-In Spray.
3. Use a 2” curling iron (or smaller, should your locks and layers be short).
4. Using the curling iron, take a thin section of hair and curl the hair bringing the iron up as close as you can to the roots. Gently let the hair out of the curling iron.
- For short or fine hair, it's helpful to dry hair with a thickening spray (like this one) beforehand or use volume powder (like this one) before styling with your iron. These products will create a thicker base for styling and provide a long lasting hold.
- Curling your hair twice (in essence, passing your hair through the barrel more than once) will provide a smoother, bouncier finish on shorter hair.
6. Repeat process through each section of hair.
7. On the top layer, curl facing backward to create volume.
8. Continue with the rest of the top section and curl facing away from you each time.
9. Finish with an allover spritz of hairspray, then spray entire hairstyle with a finishing spray
like Redken Wind Blown O5 Dry Finishing Spray.