Lots of Love.

Today I am doing a guest post over at the wonderful blog Cardigan Empire where I will be joining the Beauty-full Tuesday series.
I feel so lucky because so many amazing women have been apart of this :) 
So check it out!

 ALSO
 Just in case you guys didn't have the chance to see the
series I was apart of called Women Who Love.
I wanted to share what I wrote, here on my blog!
Alycia
Age: 22
Love: History and Traveling

How long have you been studying history?
Technically I have been studying history since I started school right? History has always been one of my favorite classes in school, along with all of the Social Studies courses. This is why I decided to get a Social Science Teaching Major along with a History Teaching Minor. I get to study history, geography, politics, government and anything else you can imagine when it comes to people, places and how those relate to each other.

How has studying history made a positive impact on the rest of your life?
I believe that the more you understand a person’s history and culture, the better you can relate to them. I guess my love for history really comes from a love for people.

How has it given you confidence?
I believe that being informed and educated about the world you live in empowers you. When you know where you came from, you have a better idea of where you are going, and what you want to do.

What's your favorite memory of learning about history?
My favorite memory is probably when I was on a bus traveling through Japan. Our tour guide was amazing and she told us old Japanese tales while we traveled to different places. I learned so much about Japanese culture and the people through those stories.

Your favorite historical story?
Oh there are too many to choose! I think for a long time I was most fascinated with Roman history and their stories. Roman history is straight out of a movie, which is why there are probably so many! When I was in Rome I got to see the coliseum. A lot of people know that they use to have gladiator death fights there, but what most people don’t know is that they also would fill the coliseum up with water, put boats in there and have actual pirate battles! Incredible.

Has learning history impacted your love for traveling and culture?
I would almost say that my love for traveling and culture impacted my love for history. When I was in the 7th grade I won a writing contest and was able to be an exchange student in Japan. At the young age of 13 my eyes were astonished at this culture that was presented to me, it was so different from my world. Being there sparked something inside of me that made me want to learn more about other places and people. I developed a strong desire to see and learn about all the other places out there and to meet people different from me. Since then I have been able to travel many other places. So for I have mostly been around Europe, but I can’t wait to see even more!

This love of history is something I want to share with others, which is why I want to teach. I think it is so important for kids to know about their country, their rights, and their ancestors’ stories. In my opinion, understanding your Government and History are vital elements in helping young students figure out what they really want in their lives and in their futures. It helps them figure out who they are.

Do you have any advice for women interested in learning more about history?
Sometimes people think of history and think “boring.” But there are so many avenues that relate to history that are so exciting. I think it is important for women (and everyone) to learn about their families’ histories and the worlds histories so we can continue to learn and grow. I think it is also important to celebrate our successes and unite with people from different parts of the world. Not everyone can travel the world, not everyone can go back to school and learn more about history. But there are specific things women can do every day to play an active role in their learning and growing and participating in history. I think women should be knowledgeable in politics, and VOTE! We didn’t always use to have this right, and it is such a valuable one that helps shape our nation. Women can also document and put together family histories that can be passed down to generations where we can learn about our ancestors, and the things they did for us and their country. I also think women in America can take advantage of the fact that there are such a variety of cultures here to learn from. Women should gather together and have culture nights where they cook and share stories about where they are from and where they come from. Share traditions, stories, culture, celebrate LIFE.

In one sentence, what are your feelings about the importance of learning about history?
Understanding the history of countries, peoples, and places will help you learn how to understand and relate to others, as well as teaching you lessons that have already been taught, that will hopefully make you a better person.

36 comments

  1. You inspire me. Posts like this make me feel so blessed to be apart of the blogging world because I get to learn from so many bright and talented women. Thanks for sharing your passion with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this Q&A! I am a high school English teacher, and my husband teaches middle school social studies, so I found a lot of inspiration in your passion for teaching, and he says a lot of the same things about his love of history that you did! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these photos! And learning about your love of history! It's wonderful that you have such a passion for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already commented on the other post about this but I wanted to post here as well. I LOVE the pictures and I'm so proud of you. You will be an amazing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am LOVING that dress and cardigan and shoes! So so cute!

    xoxo Denise

    http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS pictures!! LOVED your post (and those jeans!) on Cardigan Empire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your yellow shoes! So much that I want some just like it :)
    Traveling is my passion, I seriously can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview and congrats on having such a great opportunity.

    xo L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for your lovely comment,glad to come across your blog too x
    These photo's are simply beautiful,interesting Q&A i love these it's an amazing way to get to know bloggers and blogs you follow,lovely:)
    You have a new follower!
    Hope your having a lovely day <3
    billiejean44.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is adorable and those pictures are fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great pictures, I love that dress and sweater! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sweater!




    Xoxo,


    http://www.beatricebalaj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) I LOVE history! I'm all about checking out historical sites whenever I'm on vacation (I sometimes plan vacations around them). My dad grew up during WW2 and I love hearing his stories about what life was like back then.

    My BFF is a Texas History major and getting her doctorate in history. We have been history "nerds" since we were like 10 years old. :)

    Happy to meet a fellow history enthusiast! :)

    Have a great day!

    :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your outfit is adorable and I loved reading this Q&A! Always a pleasure to read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. History is my favorite as well!! Always my best class in school. Great pics...looks like you came right out of a magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is such a great interview. you are so well spoken :)

    xox dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the outfit, and your thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also love History so this post was very inspiring. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yay for the love of history!! :) I am a History Teaching Major myself! Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your blog is adorable. I will definitely follow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love EVERYTHING about this outfit! :] You are so gorgeous! :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're way too cute and great advice. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're so beautiful inside and out. I think you make great impact and positive influence on people around you. Keep on pursuing what you love, God bless you!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and following, following back.

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your blog! The photos are captivating and enjoy your take on things. We just got back from Mission Beach and La Jolla - love your home town. Now following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  24. omygosh I just love your cardigan!! and youre so pretty!

    StyleCeviche.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to remind myself sometimes that I am actually interested in things such as politics, history, and past events. The way it is presented can REALLY make or break it, I think- compare something like a photo-filled book about the last century vs. a dusty thick book with no pictures and tiny print... I know which one I'd pull off a library shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  26. THank you for your sweet comment! You are so popular and it seriously made my day that you stumbled across my tiny blog!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey !
    That is a lovely interview, and you look so beautiful in those pics, I'm in love with your nails and your orange dress :)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. These pictures, ok all of your pictures are enchanting!!
    Really lovely, x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alycia! you are such a lovely and well-rounded person! I completely agree with you! learning brings understanding. Thanks for the lovely posts; the guest post and this one!

    -Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is so great! ps i love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous outfit!

    What a lovely blog, thanks for stopping by ours - so pleased we found you! New fave!

    Rhi & Lauren

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1. You're beautiful. I love your outfits and hair.

    2. I taught Social Studies last school year! I loved it so much, and I learned a lot. I never really had an interest in History until I started teaching SS. Better late than never, right?

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a great post! You're so inspiring! And you look amazing in that outfit. the cardigan's so pretty!!

    x Aliya

    ReplyDelete

Howdy Ho :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have enabled the forum feature on my comments so we can all interact in conversation. So if you leave a question, look back for a reply!